Re: Contract work regulations in Massachusetts

Subject: Re: Contract work regulations in Massachusetts
From: "Meryl R. Cohen" <merylster -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Evelyn Lee Barney <evbarney -at- comcast -dot- net>, techwr-l List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:18:27 -0400

Hi,

I'm writing as someone currently collecting unemployment in MA. Sigh. If he
wants to quite, I suspect that he can just open his claim again. Every week
they ask if you've earned money, and if you have earned above a certain
amount you collect a reduced amount or zero. But many people do some
contracting and then open their claim again when they are not working. This
is not cheating, it just stretches out the weeks allotted. So, in some sense
your son has contracted for one week and is now not working again. He will
need to call and reopen the claim.

Double-check with the DET before he quits, but I'm really pretty sure about
this. Also, as a "contractor" for the new company they have nothing to say
about whether he is eligible for unemployment.

Meryl

http://www.doctohelp.com