Hiltons lessons in training/translation and elearning content development

Subject: Hiltons lessons in training/translation and elearning content development
From: "Daniel Ng" <kjng -at- gprotechnologies -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:06:21 +0800

*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(r) Pro*
Nice case-study for tech writers and senior instructional designers for info
dev work

Hilton's lessons from online learning
----------------
When Hilton Hotel group rolled out a technology platform to deal
electronically with check-ins, check-outs and reservations, its staff needed
to be trained on the new system. Helen Wilcox reports on how Hilton went
about creating online learning materials to do that job and what the team
learned itself in the process.

To train staff on the new proprietary platform, called OnQ technology,
Hilton decided to create online learning materials. In total, 55 hours of
online materials were needed to cover all the different aspects and users of
the systems. These had to be translated into seven languages so that 15,000
users in over 70 countries could use them.

'It was the biggest ever bespoke training event that we had run,' said Gail
Sadler, Director of Training (commercial development and IT) at the Hilton
Hotel Corporation. The process was therefore a learning curve for the
department, and Sadler shared the lessons learned with the audience at
Learning Technologies show in January.

'Preparation was key,' said Sadler. 'We spent a lot of time at the planning
project stages. We agreed on three stages of e-learning. Stage one was 84
lessons, stage two 48 lessons, and stage three 20 lessons. We spent a lot of
time initially on what each person would do in the development cycle.'

A lot of the preparation within Sadler's team focussed on agreeing
standards, so that the material was consistent and of high quality. 'For
example, we decided always to use the 24-hour clock as it is internationally
recognised. We used red boxes when the learner had to do something, and blue
boxes when it was just for information. We always used the same format for
objectives and minutes on each module. Having standard text also meant that
some translating could be done early by translators.'

Once ready to move on to the material creation phase, Hilton did the
storyboarding in-house, which it then sent over to its e-learning partners
to create the actual material. Subject matter experts from the Hilton group
reviewed the finished products.
...incomplete...

Read the full article here

http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=ConWebDoc.25519