Re: Tech Comm Tools: Afterglow

Subject: Re: Tech Comm Tools: Afterglow
From: Fox Cole <foxcole -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 14:11:13 -0500

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 1:01 AM, <arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com> wrote:

> "Afterglow is a new system that creates an interactive environment with a
> laser pointer on a projection screen. The laser pointer can be used as a
> drawing tool to emphasize items on the screen and can also be used to
> control the cursor like a mouse. Afterglow also has built in slide controls
> for PowerPoint allowing the user to control their presentation using the
> laser pointer. Sounds cool, but the $1980.00 price tag will probably scare
> most people away."
>
> Owch. But give it a couple years, it'll be an everyday tool.

Very cool idea! I'm a gadget geek. I'd love to play with that one!

But, based on my experience with laser pointers, I agree it'll be an
everyday tool IF there's some kind of stabilizer technology on the laser
pointer, Even a steady hand can make a laser dot look jumpy, because
distance amplifies the natural irregularities of hand and arm motion.

My mental model of this system is similar to the electronic signature pads
for credit card transactions. Most of these pads are not able to capture
full analog motions so our signatures look like angular scribbles, nothing
like our natural handwriting, I can't imagine trying to draw a recognizable
circle with a laser (in which distance amplifies irregularities) -- let
alone annotate anything legibly. (But surely the technology will compensate,
because otherwise, how could anyone use it?)

Interesting! It bears watching, doesn't it?

Thank you, Arroxane, for bringing that up!

Cheers!
---Fox

If the world were a logical place, men would ride sidesaddle. --- Rita Mae
Brown

http://www.doctohelp.com