RE: Re: Shazam! You're a marketing writer!

Subject: RE: Re: Shazam! You're a marketing writer!
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'Leonard C. Porrello'" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>, "'Nancy Allison'" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 12:59:27 -0400

Leonard C. Porrello wrote:

>"The typical marketing campaign is carried out by, "one who will preach
doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots." This is
ironic since good marketing is so very important to business and consumers.

In short, it's very difficult to write something engaging, truthful, and
sound (from a literary perspective) that is also acceptable to
"marketing professionals." They seem to have a very hard time letting go
of the status quo. And having said that, I need to add that this is also
what makes the opportunity exciting and interesting. In an enlightened
marketing department, a good writer has a chance to really shine.<

Actually, there are laws that allow consumers to go after advertisers who
blatantly lie in their advertising, and it's not any harder to writing good,
truthful marketing as it is solid, accurate technical material. The only
real difference is the audience. I'm talking about older audiences and B2B
marketing, which is a lot different than selling multi-colored sugar coated
fruit swirls to pre-teens.

I do agree that it takes an enlightened marketing department, but it also
takes an enlightened technical writer to be able to take advantage of the
situation. Focus on the message and not as much on the mechanics...and learn
how to integrate the text with images (photographs, drawings, flow charts,
etc.).

Two hours on the deck with birds flittering about and a nice dirty martini
or cold brewski also help get the marketing juices flowing....

Al Geist
Technical Communicator, Help, Web Design, Video, Photography
Office/Msg: 802-872-9190
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
Website: www.geistassociates.com
See Also:
Fine Art Photography
Website: www.geistarts.com

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
day." (Sy Safransky)

http://www.doctohelp.com