Re: Shazam! You're a marketing writer!

Subject: Re: Shazam! You're a marketing writer!
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, jlshaeffer -at- aol -dot- com
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 14:22:56 -0700 (PDT)

IMO, I agree with your post but I think you've got it backwards insofar as the order of the points you hit. I believe you should start by giving the potential customer the rundown on the benefits that can be provided by the ThingMaster 2000(tm). Especially if the reader is a business/finance type.

If you start with a suit by telling him the product will save his company 50k per quarter, he'll be likely to read on, wondering how the !$ -at- # you're going to save him so much money. That's when you tell him your product has a telepathic interface. If he is interested enough to wonder if it could be true, he'll ask his tech people to give him an opinion. But if he doesn't know an interface from the intarwebs and doesn't care, if you start by telling him about the product features he may turn off at that moment and not get far enough to be told about the benefits. You can start by bragging about features if the reader is a tech type, and maybe he'll be interested enough to continue to read about benefits.

Proper audience identification at the start of the project is important, even in marketing writing.

Admittedly this is an opinion only - your mileage may vary.