Re: Digital delivery of documentation.

Subject: Re: Digital delivery of documentation.
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 18:05:52 -0400

I just consulted with a "customer," my wife. She says that she greatly
prefers hardcopy for equipment, because she puts her own little bookmark
tabs on all the pages that have items of special interest. She did that
for her HP gas chromatograph.

Whether it's possible to do that or not with a given electronic format
is beside the point. She wants the hardcopy.

I agree with her. Sometimes I find that I need to look at four or five
portions of an automotive shop manual simultaneously. "Oh," you'll say,
"just bookmark the pages in the PDF or HTML." But that does not quite
help. I want to look at the drawing on page 8-4 and compare it with the
drawing on 11-73 while gazing at the engine on my truck. I do not want
to drop my flaptop computer into the engine, or (for that matter) touch
a flaptop with my greasy paws.

Additionally, if you're flipping back and forth between portions of a
PDF doc that look similar, it can be hard to ascertain that you returned
to the place you wanted, and not to another page that's almost the same.

I suspect that if properly polled, the people who use the manual will
opt for the printed copy. This means actually asking the folks with the
grease on their paws.

http://www.doctohelp.com