Re: Digital delivery of documentation?

Subject: Re: Digital delivery of documentation?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L Writing'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 13:11:54 -0700

During my days in the semiconductor fab industry (mid-late 1990's) we
tried some pilot programs delivering user docs in soft form to beta
customers. The feedback from US customers was that it would be
desirable if the information was on the system controller, task oriented
and context sensitve, but not if it came in whole document form. And, of
course, there would still need to be one copy that did not require the
system to access. Our overseas customers, on the other hand, had an
almost religious attachment to printed documents, to the extent that
some were of the opinion that we might not even be able to get the
products certified for import without them.

Gene Kim-Eng