Re: Screen captures and sizing

Subject: Re: Screen captures and sizing
From: Mike Starr <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 12:00:15 -0500

Like many questions, the answer here begins with "It depends."

What publishing tool are you using? Each publishing tool handles resizing images differently. If you're using the images at other than their original size, that may cause some degradation.

What are the uses of your PDFs? If you're *positive* that they're being used on-screen only, then the image resolution you've chosen is fine. However, if they're being printed, I'd go to a minimum of 300dpi.

I don't use SnagIt... I do the screen capture with {Alt} {PrtScrn} then paste the image into Paint Shop Pro. I reduce the color palette to 256 colors by applying a palette file that's 256 colors and also contains the Windows 20-color palette. Then I save the file as a .gif file for use in the publishing tool. I always set up my computer to use the Windows Classic display of dialog boxes, etc. and then set the title bar color to a single color rather than the default gradient. This yields a screen capture that doesn't look like cr*p when I reduce the colors to 256. I have macros set up in Paint Shop Pro to handle the image processing so it's basically a two-click process to process and save the file.

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Technical Illustrator

http://www.doctohelp.com