RE: proper terms/usage

Subject: RE: proper terms/usage
From: Craig Haiss <craighaiss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 09:48:13 -0700 (PDT)

On laying down the law - yup, you need to pick your battles.

If SMEs feel strongly about electric vs. electrical and you (the writer) know that users won't be confused either way, why turn it into a political issue? Let them sort it out while you focus on writing clear instructions.

Demanding respect over issues that are somewhat arbitrary will reduce your authority. If you play the "I'm the language" expert card and can't back it up with a good reason, people are less likely to listen in the future.

Argue because it makes the product better, not because of respect. You'll gain more respect by doing so.

However, I've worked in this field long enough to understand why this is a sensitive issue. You have to walk a fine line. ;0)

Craig Haiss