RE: FrameMaker crashes

Subject: RE: FrameMaker crashes
From: "Lippincott, Richard" <RLippincott -at- as-e -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:19:54 -0400

Gerald asked about Framemaker crashing, and if anyone else notices it.

I do, but at least one of these supports the theory that system
configuration has a lot to do with it.

Problem the first:

We've all seen the periodic updates that come from Adobe: you open
Frame, you get info boxes that tell you files are being downloaded.
Typically there are two, they install before you can think about it and
you press on.

At my company, our PCs have been locked down due to security issues. We
can't save -anything- on our hard drives, so the incoming Frame files
are rejected. On my system, I click OK...the files never install...and
that's the end. On my co-worker's system, he clicks OK...Frame crashes.
Our IT guy is stumped. It's clearly a configuration difference in our
systems, but they can't isolate it.

Problem the second:

I've accidentally developed an almost foolproof way to make Frame crash.
Here are the steps:

1. Create a document.
2. Create a frame.
3. Import a graphic by reference and save file. (IMPORTANT: Import
by reference.)
4. Go away just long enough to forget the exact graphic file name.
5. Come back, look at the graphic, decide "Nah, I gotta go change
something."
6. Open the graphics properties box to double-check file name and
path.
7. Forget to close graphics property dialog box. (IMPORTANT: Do not
forget to forget to do this.)
8. Minimize Frame
9. Locate the graphics file in its folder, open with any photo
editing tool, alter graphic.
10. Save graphic.
11. Return to Frame.
12. See open graphic property box onscreen just long enough to
trigger "Oh no I did it again" reaction.
13. Send dump file to Frame tech support.

Works every time.

Rick Lippincott
Technical Writer
AS&E*
American Science & Engineering
829 Middlesex Turnpike
Billerica, MA 01821-3907
978-262-8807 (direct)
978-495-2335 (mobile)
978-262-8702 (fax)

This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain information
that is confidential or privileged. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you should not read,
copy, disclose or otherwise use this message, except for the purposes of
delivery to the addressee. If you have received this e-mail in error please
delete it and advise AS&E immediately.

http://www.doctohelp.com