Session session session...

Subject: Session session session...
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:33:02 -0400

Those of you writing about products that involve communication
between/among electronic devices, do you know of a good synonym for
"session"?

In a situation where several levels of communication are going on
simultaneously, several "sessions" might be set up and torn down among
devices and processes. It gets a little sticky, if not repetitive to use
"session" in too many places, especially two or three times (about two
or three links) in a single sentence.

So yes, I use "link" in some places (which is lightweight considering
that "session" implies more structure to the connection. (Yes, I'm aware
I just said "connection", so I'm asking if that too would carry the same
weight with you as "session" in the sense of a protocolled, stratified,
time-or-condition-bounded exchange of information among devices, stacks,
etc.)

"Interaction" is too lame and unbounded for the purpose. So is
interface, given how I've used it elsewhere.

The paper thesaurus and the online ones all lean heavily toward confabs
of humans, not of devices and systems.

Thoughts?

- Kevin

or disclosing it.