RE: Post-interview: "We'll call you"

Subject: RE: Post-interview: "We'll call you"
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:08:25 -0600

McLauchlan, Kevin wrote:

> I agree that you should send the HAND-WRITTEN... or at least
HAND-SIGNED
> card via physical mail. However, if it's really important that it GET
> there while they are still considering you for the job, would it be
> overkill to send it registered or to send it via courier?

Can't speak to using a courier, and the following applies just to the
U.S. Maybe to Canada -- but YMMV, eh? I don't have a clue regarding
anyplace else.

Registered Mail would be wrong in several ways. The purpose of
registered mail isn't to confirm delivery, it's to ensure that something
highly valuable -- stocks, bonds, diamonds -- is transported in highly
secure fashion, in locked containers separate from ordinary mail, and
signed for at every step along the way. It's expensive and massive
overkill -- I'd wonder about the judgment of someone who sent a
thank-you note this way (I'd have the same concerns about using a
courier, BTW).

Still overkill, but less expensive and slightly less inappropriate is
Certified Mail, which is generally used for legal documents and provides
proof of mailing and delivery.

But neither speeds delivery -- in fact, they're likely to delay it due
to the extra processing.

If all you need is assurance that it got there, you want Delivery
Confirmation. If you also want to make someone sign for it, that's
called Signature Confirmation (but in my book, a thank-you note that I
have to sign for is in the creepy category). Both are cheap (under a
buck, I believe), and let you confirm delivery via the online tracking
system.

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer