Re: pronouns in resumes

Subject: Re: pronouns in resumes
From: ActionA -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:51:45 EDT

I have no I's in my resume. I do have many bulleted lists. So "I initiated
experiments..." becomes "* Initiated experiments...."

Nancy Adams

In a message dated 6/17/2009 5:26:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
wabbitoid47 -at- yahoo -dot- com writes:

In my constant search for work, I often ask recruiters about resume style.
I have yet to find one that cares all that much. They look for skills
and experience, which I lay out as efficiently as possible.

The problem with banning pronouns is that it creates a tendency toward
passive voice. "I initiated experiments that proved" becomes "Experiments
were initiated, proving". Active verbs are by far the most compelling, and if
they require a pronoun then by all means a pronoun is called for.

Naturally, I'm at the lower end of the spectrum and my experience may be
different. I submit the best writing samples I have and use active voice to
directly and concisely stake my claim. If that's not how it is done at
the highest levels I suppose I will be forever scratching.

Erik Hare
http://erikhare.wordpress.com/

**************Dell Days of Deals! June 15-24 - A New Deal Everyday!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222865043x1201494942/aol?redir=http:%2F%2F
ad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215692145%3B38015538%3Bh)

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.