RE: Book Review

Subject: RE: Book Review
From: "Richard L Hamilton" <dick -at- rlhamilton -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:32:10 -0600

Dan,

> Kudos on the review!

Thanks very much. It was great to have the book
reviewed by Dr. Klein for Techwr-l.

> As an aside, I noticed that Dr. Klein prefers
> "technical writer" to "technical communicator."
> How about that?

I think it was accurate on her part to shade it
that way for this book, so I'm not sure that it
reflects a preference so much as an observation
that I used the term extensively.

Because I titled the book Managing Writers, I decided
to stick with technical writer, unless I was talking
about a clearly distinct job category. There was no
way I was going to name it Managing Communicators.
That would have been clunky, though maybe it would
have attracted some Ham Radio operators:)

While technical writer may not be the most trendy
term, it is unambiguous and universally understood.
However, since the concepts in the book apply to more
than just technical writers, I'd like to think that
the potential audience for the book will see beyond
the terminology (If you see a second edition titled
Managing Communicators, you'll know I was wrong:).

In a book like Anne Gentle's upcoming Conversation
and Community, which looks more deeply into the way
the field is evolving, I'd definitely use technical
communicator, since that is a more accurate description
of what the role entails (though even that may be too
constrained for what Anne has in mind:).

Best Regards,
Richard
XML Press
XML for Technical Communicators