RE: Documenting two similar interfaces

Subject: RE: Documenting two similar interfaces
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'Dan Goldstein'" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 15:47:47 -0700

> From: Dan Goldstein

> LOL. Google to the rescue...
>
> "Office 2007 ribbon" good: 20,400 results
> "Office 2007 ribbon" bad: 1,990 results
>
> Completely anecdotal, unreliable, and unscientific. As you say, this
> isn't for a PhD dissertation, but it should be good enough for a beer
> bet.

I'll drink to that. ;-)

I think that the Office ribbon is effective for people who have *no*
experience with Office, they loathe Office, or they simply want something
completely different. I think that most people who use Office on a daily
basis would prefer the original interface because we know where everything
is. Personally, I do not mind that MS adds items to the toolbars, but to
completely change the toolbars into something absolutely unintuitive for the
veteran Office user is absolutely moronic. The learning curve of the
"ribbon" is so much longer than configuring Office 2007 with an add-in that
restores the toolbars and in reverting to older versions of Office, that it
is not worth the effort to me. I am looking for an effective Office-like
mini-app or Java-app that I can keep on my thumb drive so that I do not need
to deal with client mistakes of using Office 2007.

Lauren

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.