25 Years of PowerPoint?

Subject: 25 Years of PowerPoint?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Adrianne Mora <AdrianneM -at- envipco -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 09:55:17 -0400

Adrianne Mora noted: <<I found this on BBC News today, and I thought
you all might be interested:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8207849.stm>>

Sounds awfully familiar, but good to see nonetheless. More people
should read this.

<<I have to agree that PPT presentations can be really boring. To
those of you who do training and public speaking, what are your tips
for creating interesting presentations?>>

There are three keys to a successful presentation: keep it short and
focused, speak about something the audience will want to hear about,
and speak well enough and in such a way as to engage your audience.
There are also many other things you can do to make a presentation
work, including: <http://www.geoff-hart.com/articles/2004/presentations.htm
>. That's not an exhaustive list, but it's enough to make most
presentations work well. (These are the rules I follow, and I usually
rate in the top 5 to 10% of speakers at STC conferences. Yes, I'm
braggiing. <g>)

When I do training, I try to keep the sessions short (no more than
about 1.5 hours without a break), and limit workshops to about 6 hours
per day; in my experience, people tend to drop off to sleep with
longer sessions, and just about nobody is still alive at the end of an
8-hour workshop. Varying the pacing, such as by regularly coaxing the
audience into providing feedback and regularly switching from
lecturing to working on exercises, is also a great trick.

And for a really funny summary of things you should never do, watch
"Life after death by Powerpoint":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cagxPlVqrtM&feature=fvst

Geoff Hart (www.geoff-hart.com)
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
Effective Onscreen Editing:
http://www.geoff-hart.com/books/eoe/onscreen-book.htm

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.