Re: Examples of Great Software/Web-based User Guides

Subject: Re: Examples of Great Software/Web-based User Guides
From: Erik Hare <wabbitoid47 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:55:06 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Fri, 8/21/09, voxwoman <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> I think that "automagical" belongs in the
> same dictionary that includes "edumactaion,"
> "crumulent," and "embiggens".  Good for
> dialogue on "The Simpsons" or a snarky article,
> but not for something that purports to be written in
> "proper English."

I understand your point, and I will certain give you that it's the kind of word that should be used very carefully. But I can't help but note that "snarky" is a word I never, ever use - even informally! The definition is very squishy, ranging from "Irritable or short-tempered; irascible." (American Heritage Dict) to "sarcastic, impertinent, or irreverent in tone or manner" (Merriam-Webster) to simply arrogant in common usage. I honestly don't precisely know how you use it in the above paragraph because the context could go either way.

We all have our words that we avoid for our own reasons. :-)

Erik

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.