Re: Visio/Office guru?

Subject: Re: Visio/Office guru?
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:31:12 -0700

I could not disagree more.

There's no loss of resolution when you properly embed or link a Visio
or other vector graphic. Leisa needs to figure out what's screwing up
OLE for the Visio-Word combination and fix it.

There is a loss when you convert any vector graphic to .png or any
other bitmap format unless you have a fixed output resoution, e.g.
when printing. In any other circumstance, converting vector to bitmap
is a workaround of last resort.

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Monique
Semp<monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net> wrote:
> The copy/paste method is generally problematic.  Not only does it not
> always work (as you're finding out), but even when it does, there is a
> well-documented loss of resolution.
>
> What I'd recommend is in Visio, save your graphic as a PNG.  (Other formats
> will work, such as WMF, EMF, etc.), but generally I find that PNG files
> will nicely import into almost anything, and can be easily resized.  (The
> only caveat is if you're using transparency, which depending on whether you
> save the PNG as 24-bit or 32-bit can cause issues in your target
> application if it's, for example, FrameMaker.)
>
> Once you have the PNG file, open your Word doc, and then import the picture
> (in Word 2003, it's Insert > Picture > From File).

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.