RE: Illustrations to be printed; was: Re: Viso/Office guru?

Subject: RE: Illustrations to be printed; was: Re: Viso/Office guru?
From: "Broberg, Mats" <mabr -at- flir -dot- se>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 09:07:55 +0200

David Neeley wrote:

> For offset printing, the situation is a bit different. There
> is a range of screen resolutions used, ranging from 100 or
> slightly less for some web presses (mainly used for
> newspapers and things like supermarket flyers, so not
> applicable here) through a minimum of 120 to 150 lines per
> inch for standard non-coated stock up through and including
> resolutions as high as 300 lpi (mostly for very high quality
> color, such as the lavish "coffee table" display volumes.

I'll second David on this, also drawing on several years as a commercial
printing consultant.

For CMYK images printed in litho offset with conventional
amplitude-modulated screening, the ideal resolution should be 2-2.5 x
the screen resolution and @ the same size, i.e. 300-375 dpi for a 150
lpi screen.

When it comes to line art printed in litho offset, i.e., illustrations
that are only 100 % black lines with no screening, the general view is
that the resolution should be no less than 1200 dpi, although I know
several printers who wants the same resolution as the imagesetter, which
is often 2540 lpi.

For frequency-modulated screening, such as stochastic screening or
hybrid screening (e.g. Agfa's "Diamond" screening), the recommendations
may be different, as is also the case for desktop printers.

Best regards,
Mats Broberg

Technical Documentation Manager

http://www.flir.com/thg