Re: plug-in HTML solutions

Subject: Re: plug-in HTML solutions
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 09:00:12 -0700

I'm not quite sure what you're up to here, but on the FrameMaker side
you can create multiple .book files with different combinations of .fm
chapters.

You can consolidate multiple Eclipse help plugins into a single TOC
quite easily. For the master, combined tree, use a text editor to
create a toc.xml like this:

<link toc="../com.company.product1.help/toc.xml" />
<link toc="../com.company.product2.help/toc.xml" />
<link toc="../com.company.product3.help/toc.xml" />

The above methods plus FrameMaker's conditional text give a lot of
flexibility in single-sourcing various deliverables with common /
overlapping content.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 6:57 AM, Crimmin, Peter<Peter -dot- Crimmin -at- nuance -dot- com> wrote:
> Request for ideas. I'm looking for a low-budget delivery mechanism that
> enables the following:
>
> *       HTML documentation per product. For example, 3 trees of HTML
> information for 3 products.
> *       Plug-able trees. For example, each tree installed separately,
> but accessible as one HTML system.
> *       One Table of Contents. For example, opening help gives a ToC for
> whichever products are installed.
>
> I can do this with Eclipse Standalone Help. It's plug-able, but it has
> downsides.
>
> Here's the problem: I use FrameMaker=>WebWorks to produce HTML help for
> products that release on separate schedules. WebWorks builds a single,
> monolithic help system. You cannot re-generate/install a single branch.
> The solution must be free, or very inexpensive.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.