MacCap feedback - surreptitious reporting confirmed

Subject: MacCap feedback - surreptitious reporting confirmed
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 09:19:52 -0700

I'm surprised to find that in fact local help (.chm etc.) generated by
MadCap Flare with the feedback feature enabled does collect data on
topics viewed, search terms, and CSH calls without getting an opt-in
from the user:

"... we have some very high security end-users with very strict
policies. The workaround solution we found was just to instruct users
who do not want to submit feedback to block our secure URL."

http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7564

http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare/Content/Feedback/Feedback_Explorer_Internal_Versus_External.htm

Yeah, this isn't the user's driver's license or credit card, but it is
information about the user. Collecting it is a violation of privacy,
and in some places illegal.

Since it's being sent over the internet, the data *is* traceable back
to the user via the IP.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.