RE: Follow-up to question about getting feedback from users

Subject: RE: Follow-up to question about getting feedback from users
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, Robert_Johnson -at- percussion -dot- com
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:08:10 -0700 (PDT)

Like I say, your mileage may vary. This whole discussion is nothing but an expression of a difference in personal definitions of things.

You don't have to try to convince me that social networking is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have never disputed the usefulness of tools like wikis and forums and all that; I just say they don't meet my definition of personal or direct contact. I figure that what you and I are doing right now is every bit as "personal" as contact with a customer through some social network. If the other guy can't see me rolling my eyes and pantomiming choking while I respond to him, it isn't personal.

No, I'm not. Really. I swear it.

I don't consider what I do as providing tech support. I provide information. I don't provide tech support because the user working on a problem can't ask me what next if he tries what's in the documentation and still can't get it to work. Support is when there is two-way interaction *and* I help work on solving unknowns. I've never had such a job. If I did I would still feel more removed from the user than you do.

As for seeing what value I'm providing, I know I have always provided an extremely valuable product/service. The problem with that is the same it's always been - value to the customer isn't the same as value to the employer. I know good and well that what I do is very important to the customer, but no matter how much good feedback I get, there's still no way to quantify how my work improves the company's bottom line, so I still have no leverage in budget discussions.