RE: Surreptitious reporting...

Subject: RE: Surreptitious reporting...
From: "Sharon Burton" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "'John Garison'" <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 19:00:14 -0700

John, you just went on the "I'm giving you a kiss the next time I see you"
list. Or a beer, your choice. I believe we've drunk together before and I'd
be honored to do it again. In heels and a short skirt, again.

Yes, at its basic, this is exactly what Feedback is doing. Every web server
in the world collects this information. It's not personal info - no one can
see what you, Joe from Tulsa did, but the web server people can see an
aggregate of what people did today/whatever time frame.

If that violates EU law, I leave that to the lawyers. Perhaps people in the
EU should just put the 'Net down now because *all* servers track this info.

There are other things that Feedback can do, if you decide to let it do
them. Should you tell your users you're doing them? Perhaps. If you wish.
It's sort of up to you and what you think you should do and what you think
you want to tell your users.

If you wish to implement the Web 2.0 features, then leaving comments for
other people to see, for example, requires you to identify yourself as an
action. If you wish to just let people rate the info, I don?t think they are
identified but I could be wrong. If you wish to allow people to comment but
those comments are never seen by anyone but those you specify, then I
*think* your user has to identify him/her selves.

No one is making you purchase and implement all the features of Feedback. If
you wish to use it, then you should decide what and how to implement the
features you wish to use.

But I repeat for the 100th time today, MadCap is not tracking what your
users are doing and then laughing at how silly they are. The only people who
have access to Feedback server and the information is you and those you
authorize. There is no "phone home" feature, in that Feedback is reporting
back to MadCap what your users are doing. MadCap seriously doesn't care what
your users are doing with your products.

Dear god. 11 hours after I discovered my inbox exploded... I have a terrible
headache.

sharon

Sharon Burton
MadCap Software Product Consultant
Managing your content, one topic at a time
www.anthrobytes.com
951-369-8590
IM: sharonvburton -at- yahoo -dot- com