Re: .pdf vs. .html

Subject: Re: .pdf vs. .html
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 09:21:07 -0700

Acrobat Reader can handle URLs to bookmarks:
www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/pdf_open_parameters.pdf

What's your source format?

Generally, HTML makes more sense for online use, but PDF is better for
downloading for offline use. Some places do only PDF, some only HTML,
some both.

I always produce a PDF, even if it's not distributed to customers, as
it's more convenient for printing and some kinds of searches.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 6:22 AM, Anne Woolson <anne -dot- woolson -at- rimage -dot- com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My company is wanting to move away from posting our documentation as
> .PDFs on our support site, and move to presenting them in .HTML. I'm not
> at all thrilled with this idea, especially since our user manuals are
> long (300+ pages) and heavily formatted. I think this will be a
> nightmare to do initially and equally bad (or worse) to maintain.
>
> Can anyone tell me what the industry standard really is? And any insight
> as to what formats are going to be useful in the future? Is there a
> consensus on what is the right format to be using for online
> presentation?
>
> One point I can't answer is - is there a way to have an html link on our
> web page jump to a specific bookmark in a .pdf? If so, that may solve my
> problem outright.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.