RE: one vs 1

Subject: RE: one vs 1
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Deborah Hemstreet" <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com>, ".TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 08:17:52 -0700

I think that my job is to provide my client with my expert opinion about
how things should be done. And if they want things done differently, I
defer to the rule, "the customer is always right" (unless someone is
going to be maimed or get killed--and that isn't customer's intention).

Were I in your situation, the conversation might go something like this:

Client: We'd like you to write all numbers, even those less than 10,
using Arabic numeric symbols. We don't want any numbers spelled out.

Me: I'd be happy to do that. However, I'm sure you realize that doing
that goes against the written conventions of the past 100 years and will
lead some readers to think you messed up. On top of that, there is no
research that I know of demonstrating that readers understand Arabic
numeric symbols, for numbers one through nine, better than spelled out
numbers. Are you sure you want to do that?

Client: Yes, we're sure.

Me: Okey doke.

Leonard