RE: Tech Pubs vs MarCom

Subject: RE: Tech Pubs vs MarCom
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'Dan Goldstein'" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 10:18:22 -0400

Dan Goldstein wrote:

" Just as a personal preference, I try to avoid that particular use of
"grow." I prefer to specify the type of growth: Increasing our profits,
expanding our market geographically, reaching new demographic groups,
etc. I have heard people speak of "growing our quality," and it sets my
teeth on edge."

Well put. We I said "Good marketing grows a company. Bad marketing grows the
unemployment lines," I was referring to tangible growth (profits, market
penetration, and such). Marketing can never grow quality; it can only use
that concept in its overall marketing effort, providing that quality has
actually improved. But, using that phrase also infers that quality sucked
before they (the company) did something to improve it and that opens the
door for customers to ask "What were your quality problems and what have you
done to correct them?"

I have been at meetings when someone from marketing or sales said those same
words and watched as the other members of the presentation team squirmed.

Al Geist
Technical Communicator, Help, Web Design, Video, Photography
Office/Msg: 802-872-9190
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
Website: www.geistassociates.com
See Also:
Fine Art Photography
Website: www.geistarts.com

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
day." (Sy Safransky)

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.