Re: reinvite or re-invite?

Subject: Re: reinvite or re-invite?
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 17:30:30 +0100

On Thursday, October 15, 2009, Robert Lauriston wrote;

> Spelling aside, I don't think it's a word, so neither. I've probably
> used it in conversation about problems with Outlook or Evite, but in
> formal writing I'd use "send another invitation."
---

In a VOIP context, reinvite has a very specific meaning and "send
another invitation" would be incorrect.

Using certain VOIP protocols, a VOIP switch initially acts as a
conduit for traffic between phones. That is the switch (or PBX) relays
the call, which thus goes through the switch. Some systems permit the
phones to reinvite, which means the devices are free to establish a
direct channel that takes the switch out of the circuit. Thus, an
invite initially establishes the call and a reinvite establishes
direct communication between the calling and receiving phones, thus
bypassing the switch that initially established the call.

Using reinvite can improve efficiency of the switch since it only has
to establish the initial connection and plays no further part in the
call after successful reinvite. However, if some functions are to be
implemented (e.g. call transfer) then the switch must stay in the
circuit to intercept the signals that initiate those functions, and
reinvite cannot be used.

So, I'd use "reinvite" when writing about the protocol steps for
establishing direct communication between VOIP phones but "re-invite"
when meaning "send another invitation".

HTH,

--
Geoff