Re: knowledge base tools

Subject: Re: knowledge base tools
From: Mike Stockman <mstockman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 15:15:26 -0400

At a current client of mine, we've had some good experiences with Jive
Software's knowledge base <http://www.jivesoftware.com/>, although the
knowledge base is no longer available standalone. It's been rolled up
into their monolithic kbase/socialnetworking/wiki/dishwasher/
bulletinboard/flyingcar application called Jive SBS. For people
looking only for a knowledge base, the rest of it is somewhat
overkill, but it might be worth looking at.

As a standalone knowledge base, it was easy to create documents,
security was fairly straightforward, and they had a good moderator
setup (where any new document had to be approved first, and the
moderators could be defined for each category of document). The
version we use has some problems (buggy HTML editor, PDF indexing
issues) that are addressed in later releases or in Jive SBS, but of
course I can't get permission to upgrade. :-)

The search index is updated regularly for its own native entries, as
well as for the contents of attached Word/PDF/Excel documents. So
searching is useful.

I have no idea of pricing. Which may be why my very casual request to
upgrade was denied.

Hope that helps,
Mike