RE: Documentation confidentiality level policy

Subject: RE: Documentation confidentiality level policy
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Technical Writing Plus" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:10:54 -0600

Technical Writing Plus wrote:

> My take on that is that it is a one-way kind of thing; in other words,
the
> customers would get the information from the company but the company
has no
> expectation wrt to them not re-distributing. This expectation is for
the
> NDA
> class.

In that case, "customers only" = "public" and the company would be
fooling/confusing itself to pretend otherwise.

Categories shouldn't have names that lead people to believe a
restriction exists when it doesn't. Either the company is OK with the
information becoming public knowledge, or it wants to restrict it.

The "customers only" category seems to mean "we wish this didn't become
public knowledge, but aren't going to do anything about it" -- a very
odd point of view, IMHO.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.