RE: Framemaker Conditionalising Templates

Subject: RE: Framemaker Conditionalising Templates
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Laura Fergusson" <l -dot- fergusson -at- codestuff -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:30:45 -0600

Laura Fergusson wrote:

> Up to now I have had around 10 different variants of a standard
product,
> for which I have used conditional text and variables. All variants
have
> their own book, but have used the same template, with the front and
back
> matter customised for each.
>

> Now a new client means another variant - but they have their own
> templates which I am to use.
>

> I want to keep the same structure if possible, ie a book for the new
> client, with all relevant files contained in that book, and within
those
> files, text conditionalised where necessary.
>

> However can I do this if I am using a different template? I do not
want
> to have to make a separate copy of the files and apply a new template
-
> but is that the only way to do this?

It depends on the nature and extent of the differences. If the two
templates use the same pgf, char, xref, etc., names, but merely define
them differently, then you can simply convert at production time: make a
copy of the book and its files, apply the new client's template (i.e.,
import formats from it), produce the PDF, help, or whatever, and discard
the file copies. Repeat when necessary.

If the client is requiring the use of a template that's completely
different -- e.g., different custom master pages, different pgf and char
catalogs, different autonumber sequences, their own set of user
variables, ... -- then you're looking at far more work. Far, far more.

In the latter case, I'd raise a red flag with the boss, run to get
FrameScript (if not already available), and try to automate this as much
as possible. Rick Quatro (frameexpert.com) has some scripts available
that can help immensely (FindChangeFormatsBatch comes to mind, which
does about what the name suggests), or he can create a custom solution.

Good luck with it!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.