Re: Interesting Article on Windows 7

Subject: Re: Interesting Article on Windows 7
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, k -dot- zorn -at- zorntech -dot- com
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 20:53:57 -0700 (PDT)

This reminds me that some time back, I sat through a demo of Windows 7. I intended to write up my notes for posting here, but forgot all about it.

I forgot because in that demo, I saw almost nothing that I thought was of any real interest. They've made some changes to the basic UI and beefed up the calculator. (Finally the calculator has enough capability that you no longer need a separate calculator for advanced math.) I could not run the demo software they handed out because I don't have a separate partition for it - I can't afford to risk having a bad install trash my system.

The one thing I saw in Windows 7 that I thought was worthwhile, was a "library" feature built into Windows Explorer. This allows users to manage files that are spread across multiple folders and drives, even across Internet locations. You can set up a library, which is a virtual folder in the PC's directory structure. Then, you can designate files that can be located and managed under that folder. So you can have a single folder from which you can access files that are physically located in widely-spread locations on the drives and/or on a network. It reminded me of the capability in UNIX where you can set up soft links from file names in one folder to files in different physical locations. This feature could be of real use to someone in this line of work. It would allow users to set up exactly the directory structure they want to use to manage files. But frankly, I think it's not so useful as to justify the expense and inherent risks of installing a new
operating system.