Re: Doc Design and Convention ( was TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 48, Issue 27)

Subject: Re: Doc Design and Convention ( was TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 48, Issue 27)
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Janice Gelb <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- Sun -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 16:51:18 -0800 (PST)

I think Paul's list is perfectly valid for a reference type of document, although 2 and 3 seem redundant to me.

Janice's list, to me, reads like it's closer to a marketing approach about deciding what to put in the documents. It seems predicated on putting more into thinking about the nature of the users.

I think for a procedural guide the list has to be different because the information has to serve different purposes. Here's my list for a procedural document, in no particular order:

1. What level of expertise can be expected of the user?

2. What is the user trying to do with the item?

3. What does the user need to know *before* he tries doing that? (Could be restated as, What are the traps the reader could fall into?)

4. What results should the user see when he does it right?

5. What should the reader do if something goes wrong? (This one is usually never answered, or answered indirectly at best by placing more emphasis on #3. The places I've worked, guidance on how to deal with errors is almost never included in any documentation, electronic or hard copy, because there isn't time to build in any fault tolerance.)

And, on a semi-cynical note, last but certainly not least:

6. What does the boss want in the document whether I think it makes sense or not? (I'll do my best to make a good case for what I think is the right way to do things, but when the boss says "Do it my way anyway," I salute and move out.)