Re: Graphics for hardware instructions

Subject: Re: Graphics for hardware instructions
From: voxwoman <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 18:35:39 -0500

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 4:46 PM, McLauchlan, Kevin <
Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:

<snip>

> I thought of having a professional draw something 3D exterior-ish and leave
> me with the source files. I'd have a guaranteed good-looking starting point,
> and be able to do my own tweaking as the need arose.

If you have a professional (freelance) illustrator create these for you, the
"standard" contracts specifically do NOT include the source files. Expect to
pay 3-10x whatever the "going rate" is for illustrations for that kind of
work-for-hire - and they'd be right to do it, too, because this is a
one-shot deal - you'll be doing the "tweaking" later on, not them. However,
a good illustrator can create photo-realistic drawings of equipment.

> Just a thought.
>
> By the way, I've never received a product, consumer or biz/techy that came
> with engineering drawings as the illustrations. We must move in different
> circles and buy at different places.

Back in the old days, I remember getting both stereo components and
televisions that included the schematics in the product documentation. Of
course, that was back when people would bother to repair broken TVs and
stereos instead of tossing them out and getting a new one.

-Wendy

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Easy to use
but still has all the power you need. Get results fast in an intuitive
authoring environment that works like a familiar word processor.
http://www.helpandmanual.com/