Re: Twitter

Subject: Re: Twitter
From: voxwoman <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 07:47:10 -0500

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 7:15 AM, Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>wrote:

> Is there an opportunity here for founding a new kind of business
> writing?

I heard a bit on NPR on my homeward commute that give some credence to that
idea. They were featuring a woman who was hired as a freelance tweeter (why
do I get the vision of someone stuck in a large stereo speaker, vocalizing
sounds above 15Khz?) by several companies and parlayed that job into a
full-time position somewhere.

Maybe I should start a social network where all posts have to be in haiku...

> Is twitter perhaps accomplishing that? Or are tech writers the
> only audience who can and do read, the rest of the world being swayed by
> stupid catch phrases and pretty pictures?

Not the only audience, but it seems that the broadly literate are dwindling.
Making an informed decision about political issues, candidates, and other
pieces of daily life require some amount of effort that most people are not
willing to expend. It's certainly easier to get your "information" in tiny
chunks, but you basically have to have the mindset that all our technology
"works by magic" and if something is repeated often enough, it must be true.

-Wendy

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Easy to use
but still has all the power you need. Get results fast in an intuitive
authoring environment that works like a familiar word processor.
http://www.helpandmanual.com/