Re: Twitter

Subject: Re: Twitter
From: Collin Turner <collinwrites -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Char James-Tanny <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:11:01 -0700

I am often amazed at how "stuck in our ways" the Tech Writing community
seems to be. It may be why so many find themselves unemployed and have
difficulty getting back into the job-stream -- I know, that sounds harsh,
but it's a fact. Our filed is evolving faster now than at any point in its
history. To say we're "Tech Writers" is to admit we're dated. We're
"Communicators". We document in many varied formats. If it's a message of
140 characters or a manual of 330 pages, what does it matter so long as the
meaning is conveyed -- that is what lies at the core of our job, isn't it?

I use 4 Twitter accounts for multiple purposes. Each of them lives in a
different ecosystem and each is extremely valuable. Two serve to bring me
eyes and ears, readers and listeners. As of now I have two podcasts that
reach over 20,000 listeners per month in more Countries than I can track!
This has happened in less than 8 months and I would not have that level of
success without tools like Twitter.

Do not dismiss it.

-Collin

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 8:24 AM, Char James-Tanny <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> > So, don't follow random idiots. I do, surprisingly, have friends on
> > Twitter _AND_ care what they do and are interested in them and their
> > activities. Twitter enables me to keep in touch with them in a very
> > low-effort way.
>
> Ditto. There are lots of people on Twitter, and they're talking about
> some amazing things.

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Easy to use
but still has all the power you need. Get results fast in an intuitive
authoring environment that works like a familiar word processor.
http://www.helpandmanual.com/