RE: Chapter-page numbering, reasons for

Subject: RE: Chapter-page numbering, reasons for
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'Boudreaux, Madelyn \(GE Healthcare, consultant\)'" <MadelynBoudreaux -at- ge -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 21:17:01 -0500

Madelyn Boudreaux wrote:

"I concede that if it's just down to "easier for writer" vs "easier for
user," we should err toward the user. But when trees get tossed into the
mix, I will typically err toward the environment, within reason."

Unfortunately, our customers want their manuals printed on "clean room
paper;" although, most will probably end up on a shelf somewhere and never
be opened because a phone call to Customer Service is easier.

"I also have to refer to the existing manuals a good bit, and yes, it can
be a pain to find the right page. 7-14 may be 75 pages in, or it may be
150 pages in, and you just don't know."

I've never had that problem. I scan the bottom of the pages as I proceed to
the page I want. To me it's easier finding page 7-25 than it is page 175, so
I guess the use of chapter number-page number is relative. In Acrobat, I use
the TOC to get me in the ball park.

"Still, that's maybe 6 seconds vs 3 seconds (I just timed myself, picking
random numbers -- 3-17 in a printed manual and 42 in the MSMoS), so it's
not a huge hit on my productivity."

I think you hit the nail on the head here...we aren't talking hours. We are
talking seconds, which is the overall scheme of things doesn't matter. As
for your use of plastic tabs...plastic tabs are more environmentally
destructive than not tabs. However, I personally don't use them because they
also add to the manual's cost and in these financial times, cost savings is
paramount. (Then again, how much does it cost in labor to take 6 seconds to
locate information that could take 3 seconds?)

Al Geist
Technical Communicator, Help, Web Design, Video, Photography
Office/Msg: 802-872-9190
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
Website: www.geistassociates.com
See Also:
Fine Art Photography
Website: www.geistarts.com

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
day." (Sy Safransky)

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/