Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 51, Issue 16

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 51, Issue 16
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:11:23 +0200

>> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 3:36 AM, Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> One of the first things I noticed when I joined this list was Robert's
>>> outspokenness. I've got friends like him who are very opinionated.
>>> They don't care about being popular, and will always say what they
>>> feel. I've learned not to take comments like this seriously. He's only
>>> trying to yank our chains.

Frankly, in my considered opinion we have far too many people saying
what they "feel" and not enough saying what they *think* in our
society today. So much emphasis on feelings demotes actual
ratiocination to a distinctly inferior status, and promotes political
correctness and being so worried about people being offended that our
discourse becomes completely emasculated. Another result of this kind
of sillyness is strip-searching elderly grandmothers in wheelchairs at
airports while ignoring Islamics with bombs in their briefs for fear
of "profiling"...

On the other hand, there are times when people are deliberately
offensive, apparently taking the attitude that if anyone responds it
is their fault and not the provocateur's.

I reject both positions.

On my part, I try to have informed opinions regarding positions that I
have actually considered consciously. Generally, I also try at least
to be considerate in dealing with others--and although I may be a
dinosaur, I expect at least some minimal consideration to be given to
me as well.

That is why I questioned Robert's offhand "ladies" remark when the
only ones who had responded to his earlier post IIRC were obviously
male. When Robert responded that it is not a "good idea" to become
"offended" at things said on a mail list, he was disclaiming his own
responsibility in what can be little other than a conscious slight on
his part.

To me, this is at the very minimum a sign of classlessness.

It is one thing to be "outspoken" and it is quite another to be
deliberately offensive. I am often on the "outspoken" side of
conversations, but at least I do try to be a gentleman.

People who do not, in my opinion, should profit from others expressing
their thoughts when they exhibit boorish behavior so they may learn
better in future. Otherwise, they may take silence as either approval
or tolerance for that conduct.

David

http://www.doctohelp.com/

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com