RE: Previous, Next and Print buttons in Help

Subject: RE: Previous, Next and Print buttons in Help
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Robert Lauriston" <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L Writing" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:56:14 -0800

I don't think the question of navigation and printing buttons is
either/or. The buttons _could_ be redundant and confusing, but it really
depends on what they actually do and how they play with the browser
window and other graphical elements in the help window.

In the help I create, the embedded Forward and Back buttons walk through
the tree. The Back button does not necessarily take me back to the
contents (without browser window flotsam).

Check out the following: helpandmanual.com/help. Although I generally
don't care for the esthetics of the help, I don't find the forward,
back, top, and print buttons redundant or confusing in the least. To the
contrary, since I often have several tabs open simultaneously, the
buttons in the help enable me to more easily stay in the help world. In
other words, I find the navigation is obvious and intuitive.

Leonard