Re: What do you do when you don't have anyone with the time to review and edit your docs

Subject: Re: What do you do when you don't have anyone with the time to review and edit your docs
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Caroline Tabach <caroline -dot- tabach -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:27:19 -0500

> Some people like to mark up a PDF, others like to write on a print out.

I send a PDF regardless. They have printers. :)

> For some it is enough to send an email, for others you yourself have
> to print out the material for review and go to their office with a
> hard copy.

I always drop in to visit other members of my project team, but I
don't hand-deliver them material. I use good ol' email and keep an
electronic record of the review. They are free to print it out, but
there's usually a mutual understanding that a hand-off is a hand-off
and that we're all busy people.

> So maybe if they did not answer mail, maybe they will
> react to a print out that you wave in front of their face (physically)

Or bribe them with cookies, cakes and pie. I do not nor have I ever
advocated approaches that create more work and effort where it is not
needed. We are all professionals working toward the same goal (putting
product out that either helps support an initiative or makes the
company money). Responsibility is on those involved to do their share,
not for others to drag them through it or otherwise hound them to do
what has been asked of them in support of company goals.

> Often, you have not written an entirely new book, but just updated sections.
> If only part of a book has changed, it is often useful to send only
> the new sections for review and not the complete book

Agreed. Even with a brand new book, I prefer to review in stages.

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/techcommdood

Available for contract and full time opportunities.

STC Ideas: http://stcideas.ning.com
Join: http://stcideas.ning.com/?xgi=6X1vNGI

http://www.doctohelp.com/

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com