Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 51, Issue 22 - YouTube

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 51, Issue 22 - YouTube
From: wsfn <WSFN -at- rocketmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 08:45:14 -0800 (PST)

Very serious users and companies are using YouTube.

First, companies who would use, pay YouTube for lack of advertising, length of videos, etc.

Next, the familiarity and public nature make it an easy transition and "friendly" for learning and communicating information.

Very important for many of us, are significant tools provided by YouTube (some still in Beta testing) which allow users to caption their videos for accessibilty (508 compliance).  I cannot stress how significant this is.  If you work with or for a Federal agency, having a place where you can post public video easily (US Government Channel is now a portal for federal use of YouTube) WITH captioning is nothing short of revolutionary.  YouTube, in the opinion of the Federal Government, is the bees' knees!

It is smart to make use of the tools, expertise, bandwidth, and familiarity of YouTube in these economic conditions.  Nothing shady about using existing wheels instead of reinventing.

~Faye

Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 10:37:07 -0500
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
Subject: Re: Integrating movies into documentation (Erika Yanovich)
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 9:21 AM, voxwoman <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> If I were a customer, I'd be really dubious about the stability/seriousness
> of a company that either didn't have the web skills (in house or be willing
> to pony up the money to hire a freelancer) to host their own videos, or if
> they were too cheap to pay for the bandwidth. Seeing "official" company
> videos on YouTube would tell a potential customer that the company is
> shadier than the companies that advertise at 3AM on cable TV.

Wow, either y'all don't spend much time on YouTube, or you think
companies like IBM and Dell are shady.

I suspect that IBM could hold their own videos if they wanted to, but
figured that since YouTube has the traffic, they'd go where they can
find the most people.

Check out the Science and Technology category and you'll see videous
posted by IBMLabs, IBMResearchZurich, IBMSocialMedia, DellVLog, CERN,
NASAtelevision, firefoxchannel and Robert Scoble (formerly of
Microsoft).  And that's just from five minutes of browsing, to refresh
my memory that it really was YouTube where I had seen IBM videos.

--
Julie Stickler
http://heratech.wordpress.com/

http://www.doctohelp.com/