RE: FrameMaker: Indexes: Sorting Numbers

Subject: RE: FrameMaker: Indexes: Sorting Numbers
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 13:26:35 -0500

Robert Lauritson wrote:

> The examples are only for specifying an alpha sort order for a numeric
> entry, e.g. to sort 1950s as "Ninteeen fifities". I can't find
> anything about making the <$numerics> section sort numerically instead
> of alphabetically.
>
> One workaround would be to use leading zeroes for the error codes,
> e.g. "error code 010".

The examples may be specific and limited in scope, but the mechanism is general and works just fine. What you include a sort code in an index entry marker, what you are specifying is that FrameMaker should use the sort code string instead of the text of the entry itself when sorting index entries. If you specify a sort code that always uses three digits (i.e with leading zeros as necessary), the entries will be sorted in the numerics section of the index exactly as desired.

-Fred Ridder

http://www.doctohelp.com/

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com