Subwindow name?

Subject: Subwindow name?
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:59:19 -0600 (CST)

Hi, all.

The software I am documenting has a series of windows that share the same main window name but a different subtitle.

Example:

To add a new device, I click Add New Device.

The Add New Device window appears. It has this title:

ADD NEW DEVICE
Enter a Device Name

I enter a device name and click Next.

The next window that appears has this title:

ADD NEW DEVICE
IP Address

I enter an IP address and click Next.

The next window has this title:

ADD NEW DEVICE
Password

and so on.

The subtitles are not parallel, which is one bit of sloppiness, but we have no control over this software and won't be able to change it.

I need to refer to one of these sub-windows. I am not sure whether to say "Enter the IP address in the "IP Address" sub-window of the "Add New Device" window, or what.

I could also call it the "Add New Device/IP Address" window, but I hate slashes. They obscure the relationship.

What would you call it? I would call it lousy UI design, but that's another discussion . . .

Thanks!

--Nancy

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com