Congrats, Melissa!

Subject: Congrats, Melissa!
From: "Blount, Patricia A" <Patricia -dot- Blount -at- ca -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:22:57 -0500

Hi,

Congratulations to you, Melissa.

FWIW, I agree with Chris... you have an opportunity to really add value
and one way to do so is to help your new employer unify its messages.

One issue I experience often is that everyone truly believes they can
write well and are therefore not as receptive to criticism as they
could/should be. When you write in a corporate setting, you have to
follow their rules. I've worked in companies where we never directly
addressed readers but for this company, direct address is our standard.

Is either way more 'correct'? No. Merely a style preference. But when
you have everyone writing to their own 'correct' way, the result is a
mish-mosh of communications that dilutes the company's image and
message.

You are in the enviable position of being able to unify various
communication activities - whether it's by establishing the styles all
will (eventually) adopt, or by helping to enforce those that already
exist.

Good luck!

Patty B.

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com