Re: CMS? Web site? WordPress?

Subject: Re: CMS? Web site? WordPress?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Rob Hudson <caveatrob -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:18:09 -0400

> I'm putting together a plan for a small organization to create a
> public-facing website that includes things like event calendars, content
> sections that only particular people can update, blogs, pictures from
> events, etc. Someone told me I should use a CMS; another person said
> "WordPress." Yet another said "custom website."
>
> What is the best option? I just want people to be able to update their own
> areas and to be able to have a nice design/skin. The site, btw, is
> www.dutchlandrollers.com.

In this day and age, and for what you're looking for, a custom static
web site is a bad idea.

WordPress is a CMS. :) It's just one that was initially designed to be
a blog, and with Themes and Plugins you can make it into any kind of
site you want. I use it for my site http://techcommdood.com.

Another option you should look into is Plone. It does everything I
think you're looking to be able to do, and is fairly easy to customize
with regard to custom themes. I've used it for a global internal
newsletter site complete with calendar and such and had multiple
authors with multiple permissions.

Others will suggest Drupal or another open source CMS, but many of the
open source CMS vendors mutually agree (at least they did at Gilbane
Boston this past December) that they all can do what the others can,
and it really comes down to personal preference with regard to back
end implementation details.

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/techcommdood

Available for contract and full time opportunities.

STC Ideas: http://stcideas.ning.com
Join: http://stcideas.ning.com/?xgi=6X1vNGI

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com