RE: How do hiring companies view TW resumes?

Subject: RE: How do hiring companies view TW resumes?
From: "Janoff, Steve" <Steve -dot- Janoff -at- Teradata -dot- com>
To: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:03:09 -0400

Larger issue that this addresses to me is being misunderstood in an
interview, whether with HR or someone else toward the front end of the
process, and feeling like Josef K. from "The Trial."

Years ago I used to have a section on my resume with legacy tools, and
someone would see vi or TeX and go, "Oh, you used TeX? I *love* TeX! I
used to use that..." and we'd have this great conversation about how
wonderful TeX or vi was. Didn't guarantee I'd get the job but it made
the process more pleasant and got me in some doors.

I shortened the resume over the years (it's now 1 page), and there was a
period where I'd agonize over whether to remove a tool or not. For
example, I'd remove RoboHELP and the very next recruiter or HR person
would say, "We're looking for someone with RoboHELP experience, sorry."
And then you start explaining, "But I... but... but... 5 years...
but..." -- too late. Or you take out a term that's too
military-oriented and then turns out they want that. Then you put it
back in and for space reasons take out another one that you think is
dated and then the next person wants exactly that.

And years ago they were so hung up on tools that if you didn't have
exactly the number of years they wanted on exactly the version they
wanted, you were out. We're only using 10% of the power of any of these
tools, if that. Later versions amplify the other 90%. Probably the
best job I ever got, the ad said years of JavaScript experience and I
wasn't as confident about that, and almost didn't apply. I plowed
through and ended up getting the job, and ended up using almost NO
JavaScript on the job.

There's just no rhyme or reason to the whole thing. That's why it pays
to just network like crazy and get the inside track, and get to know
your peers in hiring positions -- 5 years down the line, they may want
to bring you over to their shop.

Steve