RE: Semantic(s)

Subject: RE: Semantic(s)
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:54:27 -0600

On Thursday, March 18, 2010, Boudreaux, Madelyn (GE Health wrote:

> But doesn't it mean arguable in the sense that it's only arguable by
> people with nothing better to do, is purely academic, not worth
> bothering with, etc?

Not really. Historically, a moot discussion in a court of law was a mock court or
hypothetical case. You *could* argue they had nothing better to do :) But as an
adjective a moot point means it is open for discussion or debate, and as a verb, to
moot a point is to present the point for discussion.

And then there's also the definition of being of little practical value.

My take on it is if you want to avoid ambiguity, don't use moot since you could mean
the point is arguable or not worth arguing.

Dana W.

Dana Worley
Software Product Manager/Manager, Software Support Group
Campbell Scientific, Inc.
Microsoft MVP, Windows Help

www.jestersbaubles.etsy.com

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com