RE: Survey sez: your favorite local-drive search tool

Subject: RE: Survey sez: your favorite local-drive search tool
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Richard Mateosian <xrmxrm -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:03:01 -0400

Richard Mateosian said:

> Anything you use will take forever without an index. Windows has a
> background indexing feature. You used to be able to turn it off,
> because it annoyingly ran the hard disk all the time. In recent
> versions it's subtler, and I think it's on by default.

I'm still on XP, so it would be an older version of their indexer
on my machine. I might even have turned it off due to the constant
cranking... which was not only a source of annoying little noise,
but a drag on performance, that never went away.

I limp along with the Windoze search, but miss things like the
ability to specify the partitions to include ... or exclude.

Even a search parameter as simple as "everything local except C:"
would be a big help.

I installed the trial of xplorer2 yesterday, so I'll see how I
get along with that over the next few days.

I did try Google desktop search a few years ago, and can't
remember why I didn't want to keep it. I might give it another
whirl. I just can't shake the nagging suspicion that the company
that wants to own the world by indexing it is somehow snooping
into proprietary content if I let them in... but then, I
could say the same about Microsoft. But the philosophical
difference is that Microsoft-anything is mandated by my
employer, while Google is not.

Linux... grep... :-)

- K

Ignore dis bumpf - I do! --> The information contained in this electronic mail transmission
or disclosing it.

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com