RE: How do hiring companies view TW resumes?

Subject: RE: How do hiring companies view TW resumes?
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 13:27:59 -0700 (PDT)

I think when someone tells a candidate he is "overqualified," that is also something of an indication of how things go at that company. A hiring decider often uses "overqualified" to mean "I'm afraid you'll find a better job and leave too soon and we'll have to start the hiring process all over again." But that can't be so much of a problem in a down market like this where any job is damn difficult to find, much less a better job. And that isn't so much of a problem at companies where employees like their work and the environment. Even in a good market, leaving for a better job is less of a consideration if you enjoy the current job and like the people. If the hiring decider fears you won't stick around long enough to give him a return on the time/money spent in the hiring process, it may be he realizes but doesn't like thinking the company has a tendency to give people incentive to look elsewhere.

"Overqualified" also sometimes translates as "we're afraid there would be personnel management problems because you'd embarrass the 2nd-raters we already have working here." If they start using "overqualified" *after* you interview, you can be certain this is the correct translation.