Re: Re: How do hiring companies view TW resumes?

Subject: Re: Re: How do hiring companies view TW resumes?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:18:25 -0700

I've never documented a bulldozer, but I can tell you that in order to write the
teardown manual for an aircraft engine or a mass spectrometer you go out onto
the prototype shop floor, look over the shoulder of an
engineer/technician/mechanic while it's being broken down to document and
photograph the operation so you can create illustrations to go with what you're
writing, and then after the drafts are written you look over someone else's
shoulder while that person tries to perform the same operation using what you've
written to verify it. Or you are that other person and the
engineer/technician/mechanic you previously watched watches you to see whether
you're doing it right. Or, if you're sufficiently qualified, you'll get a day
or two in the shop with the prototype all to yourself so you can work with it..
So yes, whenever practical you do indeed operate or work on the equipment you're
documenting, though often under the watchful eye of someone who is trained in
the operation and maintenance of equipment similar to what's being developed.
Unless that someone happens to be you.

Or, you don't do any of those things and just sit at your desk while the
engineer/technician/mechanic spoon feeds you rough input and reviews it for
accuracy after you reformat and edit it into a manual. For half the pay rate of
the writer who can do it the other way.

Gene Kim-Eng