Re: How do hiring companies view TW resumes?

Subject: Re: How do hiring companies view TW resumes?
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 12:09:26 -0400

Combs, Richard wrote:
> Peter Neilson wrote:
>
>> Here's some documentation from a tractor manual. There are several
>> glaring errors. Find them.
>>
>> Inspection and Repair
>>
>> Inspect knee bushings (E) for wear and scoring. Bushing I.D. should be
>> 1.1811 to 1.1824 inch (30.0 to 30.03 mm).
>>
>> Inspect spindle shaft for wear and scoring. Shaft O.D. should be 1.1795
>> to 1.1803 inch (29.96 to 29.98 mm).
>>
>> NOTE: the shaft-to-bushing clearance should be 0.001 to 0.003 inch (0.03
>> to 0.08 mm) but no more than 0.10 inch (0.25 mm).
>
> That "no more than" spec is a couple of orders of magnitude larger than the "should be" range -- that doesn't seem right.
On target, but notice that a tenth of an inch is substantially huger
than a quarter of a mm.

>> Inspect thrush bearing (D, Fig. 8.), seat (C) and O-ring (I) for wear.
>> Replace if necessary.
>
> I'm guessing that's a _thrust_ bearing.
Bingo. But the "seat (C)" is a seal. Spell-checking is even less helpful
here than when writing about soft wear.

>> 12. Check that each lever moves to the retract position and returns
>> freely to its neutral position when released.
You missed this one. It's an item hauled in sideways from elsewhere in
the manual (which by the way is for a 1980 JD 1050 farm tractor).

>> If bushings must be replaced, drive old bushings out with a long draft.
>>
>> Drive new bushings into flush with end of tube <snip>
>
> You probably drive out the bushings with a _drift_. And you drive them _in_ flush, not _into_ flush.
Precisely.

> The draft has to wait until after work.
>
> How did I do? Do I get the job. ;-)

You did well. You still don't get the job, because (as Ken said) the
company isn't looking of off-site workers. And I'm not hiring them, or
anybody at all. And I don't even live in Atlanta or work at Ken's
company. And they're not writing about tractors from 1980. And I'm the
one who messed up the selection from the manual for illustrative
purposes; the original is an excellent piece of technical writing.
Cannot say the same for the Engrish-ranguage manual for my 1970 Kubota
B6000 which calls the transmission a mission.

And how many sentences can I begin with "and" and get away with it?

You have a good understanding of the terminology for repair of
machinery, which I suspect is a prerequesite for writing about the
stuff. The writer for such a company needs to recognize those
circumstances where he says, "We can't tell them to do it that way.
Someone will get killed!" One appreciates the work a lot better after
seeing the equipment in operation or under repair. "Geez, if you don't
put the separation stand under it, the whole thing could come down on
top of the guy underneath. Better mention that."

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com